Tomato, Cucumber, and Pickled-Onion Salad
Pickled onions add a puckery punch to a staple tomato and cucumber salad.
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Serves 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2008
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 English cucumber, partially peeled lengthwise to create stripes, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, larger pieces halved
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil, larger leaves torn
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Toss onion with vinegar in a small nonreactive bowl. Cover, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Place onion with vinegar, tomatoes, and cucumber on a platter. Drizzle with oil, and top with basil. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.