Crisp and chewy at the same time, these Southern delicacies are simple to make, and they keep well in an airtight container.
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 cups uncooked rolled oats (do not use instant)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Let cool a bit and add all remaining ingredients except the eggs. Stir well to combine, then add the eggs. Mix thoroughly.
Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter at a time on the parchment, leaving at least 3 inches between cookies. Flatten batter into a circle with the back of a spoon. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until just golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 1991