This cornbread, if used for stuffing, should be made one day ahead.
- Yield: Makes 1 eight-inch square
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television, 1999
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium jalapenos, diced, with seeds
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, jalapenos, egg, sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.