Green Beans with Tomatoes and Olives
Green beans with tomatoes and olives hint at warmer months.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup oil-cured Nicoise olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 2 teaspoons salt. Working in 2 batches, blanch beans until bright green but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer beans to the ice-water bath. Drain, and cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add anchovies, and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and juice, olives, green beans, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until green beans are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Serve.