Hot-and-Spicy Chicken with Peaches
Chicken, onion, ginger, green chile, and peaches are stir-fried in a tamarind sweet-and-sour sauce. Wilted bok choy is served alongside the stir-fry, garnished with ginger, scallions, and chile.
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Blais
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast (12 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 2-inch piece ginger (3/4 ounce), cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks, plus more, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 green chile, finely chopped, plus more thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 ripe but firm peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 10 ounces baby bok choy, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1 scallion, sliced 1/8-inch thick for garnish
Place the tamarind paste in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes. Strain into a bowl through fine sieve, pressing the moisture from the paste. Discard contents of sieve. Scrape the vanilla bean into the liquid; add rice-wine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and pepper, and stir to combine. Set aside.
Place the wok over high heat. Add the canola oil, swirling to coat wok. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, and chile, and cook, stirring constantly, until onion is transparent and chicken is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved tamarind mixture, and let simmer until sauce is reduced and slightly thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Add the peaches, and cook until they are warmed through, about 1 minute more. Transfer chicken and peaches to serving bowls. Clean the wok; add bok choy, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Saute, stirring continuously, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls. Serve garnished with fresh chile slices, scallions, and ginger.