Bananas Foster Crepes
The familiar flavors of flambeed bananas take beautifully to the elegant embrace of a crepe, giving this New Orleans icon a touch of sophistication.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 4 small Basic Crepes
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream
Warm butter and sugar in a saute pan over medium heat until butter melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bananas, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and vanilla, and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add rum. Return to heat. If using a gas stove, tip pan away from you carefully until the vapors from the rum ignite. (Or light with a long match.) Cook until flames stop, about 1 minute. Divide bananas among crepes; reserve sauce in pan.
Fold each crepe in half, then fold in half again. Drizzle crepes with reserved sauce, and top with creme fraiche or ice cream. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February 2009