All-Purpose Spice Rub
The next time you're invited to a barbecue, bring a jar of this homemade spice rub; it makes a great gift.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/4 cups (enough to season 5 to 10 pounds of meat, poultry, or seafood)
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Chili Powder
- Curry powder
- Ground ginger
- Dried tarragon
- Dill or basil
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, using your hands to break up the sugar.
Replace some of the paprika with cumin, coriander and chili powder.
Replace some of the oregano and thyme with turmeric, curry powder, ground ginger, and cardamom.
Replace some or all the oregano and/or thyme with dried tarragon, marjoram, and rosemary, dill, or basil. Omit the cayenne pepper.