Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
You can also use raisins, chocolate chips, gumdrops, Red Hots, or nuts for decorations.
- 3 cups cake flour, (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 recipes Cream Cheese Frosting Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 pint blueberries, for decorating
- 1/2 pint raspberries, for decorating
- White sprinkles and nonpareils, for decorating
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-holed muffin pans with baking cups; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until pale, light, and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer running, add eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract; beat until combined.
With mixer on low speed, add 1 cup reserved flour mixture; mix until combined. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk; combine. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with flour, until all has been incorporated.
Fill each baking cup with 1/4 cup batter; batter should almost reach tops of cups. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer tins to a wire rack to cool.
Remove cupcakes from tins, and frost with cream-cheese frosting. If desired, use a pastry bag fitted with a plain writing tip to pipe letters or designs onto cupcakes. Decorate with berries, sprinkles, and nonpareils.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2003