Hearty Black-Eyed Peas
A dash of hot sauce adds piquancy to this comforting winter side dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, December 2006
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add oregano, black-eyed peas, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until liquid is thick and peas are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Serve.