Smoked-Salmon Cobb Salad
This modern spin on the classic Cobb replaces chicken with smoked salmon, a nice match to crisp bacon and creamy buttermilk dressing.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (from 2 shallots)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces bacon (about 10 strips)
- 1 head Boston or bibb lettuce, leaves torn into 3-inch pieces
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
- 3 ounces smoked salmon, flaked with a fork into bite-size pieces
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
Whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallots, dill, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl until well combined. Season with pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Arrange bacon in a single layer in a large saute pan, and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. When cool, crumble bacon into bite-size pieces.
Arrange lettuce on a platter. Top with bacon, eggs, salmon, and avocado. Drizzle with 1/2 of the dressing. Season with pepper, and serve with remaining dressing on the side.