Herbed Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 12 large garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh lovage, or celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Crostini, for serving
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, parsley, lovage, and salt. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until tomatoes are soft and mixture is slightly reduced, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil; cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Pass soup through the medium plate of a food mill set over a large bowl; discard solids. Reheat; serve with crostini.