Honeyed Fruit Tartlets
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2006
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 14 ounces best-quality thawed frozen puff pastry, such as Dufour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- 8 to 10 small ripe plums, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges or 4 cups whole small or sliced large strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pinch of coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unfold dough on to a lightly floured surface (if needed, roll out to about 13 inches square). Trim edges, and cut dough into twelve 3-by-4-inch rectangles. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Score a 1/2-inch border inside each rectangle (do not cut all the way through). Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Whisk egg and cream in a small dish. Brush onto dough borders, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake, rotating once, until puffed, golden, and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely. Remove puffed insides from within cut border, leaving a thin bottom crust; discard insides. Shells can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
Stir together fruit, honey, lime zest and juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Just before serving, divide fruit mixture among pastry shells. Drizzle with juice from bowl.