Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan
This clean, simple salad has lots of bright flavors from the red onion, lemon juice vinaigrette, and arugula. Serve it after the main course or put a new spin on it by adding grilled shrimp or using it as a pizza topping. From the book "Lucinda's Rustic Italian Kitchen," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Wiley).
- Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
- 1 bunch arugula, ends trimmed, cleaned well and completely dried
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 16 long, thin slices Parmesan cheese
Tear the large arugula leaves in half and place all the leaves into a salad bowl. Add the red onion and toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the salad a little at a time until it is lightly coated. Divide the salad onto chilled salad plates. Top each plate with several slices of Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and grind more pepper over. Serve immediately.