Whole-Wheat Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Roasted Veggies
Simple swaps turn a guilty pleasure into a sensible supper. Whole-wheat pasta, chicken sausage, and roasted veggies make eating well effortless.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 ounces Italian-style cooked chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium red onion, halved and cut into 1-inch squares
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Set a large pot of salted water to boil. On two rimmed baking sheets, toss sausage, vegetables, thyme, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
Meanwhile, cook noodles until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot. Toss with meat mixture. Loosen with pasta water as needed, and season with salt and pepper.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2009