Lemon-Horseradish Fish Cakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds tilapia fillets (about 6)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (from about 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons bottled white horseradish
- 1 1/2 cups coarse saltine cracker crumbs, store-bought or homemade (see note)
- Tartar sauce, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush each of two rimmed baking sheets with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Place fillets on sheets; season with salt and pepper. Roast until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely; pat dry with paper towels. With a fork, flake fish into small pieces.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, and horseradish. Fold in fish and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs; season with salt and pepper. Place remaining 1 cup crumbs on a plate. Form 16 cakes, using about 1/4 cup fish mixture for each. Gently dredge cakes in crumbs, pressing to help adhere. (To freeze, see below.)
In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Place 8 cakes in skillet; cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and cakes. Serve with tartar sauce, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2006