Leek and Brie Bruschetta
This open-face melt makes the perfect weekend lunch -- just add a green salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2006
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 medium leeks, (about 2 1/4 pounds), whites and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large slices (1/2 inch thick) hearty country bread
- 8 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until leeks are very tender and just beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Arrange bread on a broilerproof baking sheet. Dividing evenly, layer bread with Brie, cooked leeks, and sliced tomatoes; drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Broil until cheese has melted and tomatoes start to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately.