Beet and Potato Salad
Humble potatoes and beets create a robust entree when combined with garlicky wilted greens and blue cheese.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Yunhee Kim
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2007
- 16 baby red or golden beets (about 3 pounds), greens trimmed and reserved
- 20 fingerling potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces mild blue cheese (preferably Danish blue), crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add beets, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, and let cool. Peel and quarter beets.
Meanwhile, put potatoes into another pan, and cover with water by about 1 inch. Add salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and let cool. Halve lengthwise.
Coarsely chop beet greens (you will need about 4 cups). Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beet greens, and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer greens to paper towels to drain.
Toss together beets, potatoes, beet greens, blue cheese, pepper, and remaining oil. Serve immediately.