Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Frosting
An easy way to add a chocolaty crunch to your cupcakes.
- Yield: Makes 30
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2009
- 3 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate Chip Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
Reduce speed to low. Mix milk and vanilla in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold into batter. Fold in chocolate chips. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 22 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks. (Unfrosted cupcakes will keep, covered, for up to 3 days.) Frost with chocolate chip frosting, and serve immediately.