Slow-Cooked Lamb Shanks and Tomatoes
This braise is a great make-ahead dish -- the flavor gets better with time.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2009
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 5 large tomatoes (about 4 1/2 pounds total), coarsely chopped, or 2 cans (28 ounces each) plus 1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 lamb shanks (about 4 pounds total)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (if using canned, break them up) and cook until they break down, 6 to 8 minutes.
Place lamb shanks in pot in a single layer so each shank is covered by sauce. Bring to a boil, cover, then place pot in oven. Cook until meat is very tender and falling off bones, about 3 1/2 hours. Skim fat from cooking liquid and season lamb with salt and pepper. Serve lamb with sauce.