Avocado-Cucumber Soup with Shrimp
Pureed avocado and yogurt gives this chilled soup its creamy texture. To save time, try our quick-cooling method.
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 minced small jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp (about 6 ounces), peeled and deveined
In a blender, combine half the cucumber and 1 avocado with the yogurt, lime juice, jalapeno, scallions, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 1 cup ice water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Puree until completely smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
Cut remaining avocado into 1/4-inch cubes. Stir avocado and remaining cucumber into soup. Thin with 1/2 to 1 cup ice water, as desired. Season again with salt and pepper. Chill, about 1 hour.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp, turning once, until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with shrimp and remaining tablespoon cilantro.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August