Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart
This tart, which makes splendid use of madacamia nuts, is best baked several hours in advance and served at room temperature.
- Yield: Makes one 11-inch tart
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 recipe Pate Sucree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted whole macadamia nuts, (10 1/2 ounces)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll pate sucree into a 14-inch circle. Fit pastry into an 11-inch tart pan; trim dough evenly along edges. Use trimmings to patch any thin spots in shell. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and bourbon until combined. Whisk in flour, salt, and butter; stir in chocolate. Pour mixture into chilled tart shell. Cover top with nuts, pressing them halfway down into filling.
Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. and continue baking until crust and nuts are golden, about 35 minutes. If tart gets too brown, place aluminum foil over top for remainder of cooking time. Cool on wire rack.