Apple Cider Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes 5 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 12 three-inch-long cinnamon sticks
- 8 hot dried chile peppers
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 1 twelve-ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
Place peppercorns in a square of cheesecloth, and tie securely with kitchen twine. In a small stockpot, combine all the ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer sauce until thickened, about 1 1/2 hours. Pass sauce through a strainer, and discard solids.