Black Cod in Tomato-Saffron Stew
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 can cold, whole, peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless black cod, or haddock fillets, cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup cliced almonds, toasted
- 3 scallions (about 1/3 cup), thinly sliced
- 1 baguette, for serving
Heat oil in a medium-heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and saffron. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and crush with a wooden spoon. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes.
Season cod with salt and pepper. Add cod and currants to tomato mixture. Cover, and cook 5 minutes. Gently stir cod; cover, and cook until opaque, about 5 minutes more. Divide among serving bowls. Sprinkle with almonds and scallions, and serve with baguette.