Roasted Paprika Chicken
This will serve four, and there's enough leftover meat to have chicken salad the following day.
- 1 whole roaster chicken (6 to 7 pounds) , rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Tuck the wings under the chicken; tie legs together with a piece of kitchen twine. Rub with butter.
In a small bowl, combine paprika, salt, cayenne, and thyme. With dry hands, sprinkle chicken with spice mixture; don't rub. Place chicken in a cast-iron skillet.
Bake until coating is blackened, 30 to 45 minutes. Tent with foil; continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees.and juices run clear, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken, and let stand 5 minutes before carving.