Roast Chicken with Artichokes
To prolong the taste of spring, enjoy the earthy flavor of our roast chicken with some oil-packed artichokes.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for pan
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), backbone removed, flattened
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 pint-size jar Artichokes Packed in Oil with Lemon, room temperature or warmed in oil
- Fresh mint, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub 3 tablespoons oil and the juice of 1 lemon over chicken; season generously with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, breast side down, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Set a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) on top of chicken, pressing to flatten. Transfer to oven, and roast until golden, about 30 minutes.
Remove skillet; flip chicken. Return skillet onto chicken; roast until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a platter; let rest 10 minutes before carving. Drizzle with juice of remaining lemon, and sprinkle with red-pepper flakes. Scatter artichokes over top, and drizzle with oil from jar. Garnish with mint.