Turkey Sausage Sandwiches
Delicious, satisfying, and under 400 calories -- this dinner has it all.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2010
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium white onions, halved, sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise
- 3 red or orange bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 spicy or sweet Italian turkey sausages (about 1 pound total)
- 4 hoagie rolls or 1 loaf French bread (cut into 4 pieces), split and toasted
- Grainy mustard (optional)
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onions and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add 3/4 cup water; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and liquid has evaporated, 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 1 cup onion-pepper mixture for later use.
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Place sausages and vegetables on bread and top with mustard if desired.