Orange Spice Gelatin
There's nothing complicated about this naturally simple orange gelatin, made by flavoring freshly squeezed orange juice with warm spices; a fluted mold gives it shape.
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 strips orange zest (4 inches each)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds, (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups strained fresh orange juice (from 8 to 10 oranges), or unsweetened store-bought juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Scant 4 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (two 1/4-ounce envelopes)
Bring water, sugar, cinnamon, zest, and anise seeds if desired, to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Strain through a fine sieve. Whisk 1 1/4 cups syrup with orange and lemon juices.
Sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup cooled juice mixture in a small saucepan, and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Strain into remaining juice mixture. Pour into a damp 4-cup mold. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours or up to overnight. To serve, dip mold in hot water until gelatin loosens, and invert quickly.