Cold Udon with Crab and Cucumber
Spaghetti-like udon are piled high with sweet crab, crisp cucumber, and peppery sprouts, and then drizzled with a tart dressing made with the juice of yuzu, a type of Asian citrus.
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces udon (or soba)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce, preferably sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon yuzu juice
- 5 ounces (about 1 cup) lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 1 cup sprouts, preferably radish, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add udon, and cook until al dente. Drain, and rinse. Drizzle with just enough sesame oil to coat. Spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate 10 minutes.
Combine sesame oil, soy sauce, grapeseed oil, vinegar, chili sauce, and juice.
Divide udon among bowls. Top with crabmeat, cucumber, sprouts, and sesame seeds. Drizzle with dressing.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2007