Braised Brisket with Cranberries
There's plenty of juice in this dish to spoon over our Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, November 2008
- 3 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed to a 1/4-inch layer
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries
- 1 bag (1 pound) frozen pearl onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in lowest position. Season brisket with salt and pepper. Heat a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high. Add brisket, fat side down. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating once. Transfer brisket to a plate (reserve pot).
Add flour to pot and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broth, wine, bay leaf, molasses, half the cranberries, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Return brisket to pot, and cover. Transfer to oven; bake 3 hours.
Stir in onions; cover, and return pot to oven. Cook 30 minutes more. Stir in remaining cranberries; return pot to oven. Cook, uncovered, until brisket is fork-tender, 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf before serving.