Crumble: A British name for a blend of berries or other fruit with a textured sugary topping, often with oats; the result is all but synonymous with a crisp. Our individual servings include rhubarb, strawberries, and raspberries nestled under an oatless blend of butter, brown sugar, flour, salt, and grated orange zest.
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, leaves discarded
- 2 cups raspberries, or sliced strawberries, or a combination
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Pinch of salt
- Crumble Topping
- Vanilla yogurt, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together rhubarb, berries, sugar, tapioca, orange zest, orange juice, and salt in a bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Divide rhubarb mixture among 6 small ceramic baking dishes (1 cup capacity and 5 1/2 inches in diameter). Transfer baking dishes to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with topping, dividing evenly.
Bake until topping turns golden and juices are bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack 30 minutes. Serve with yogurt, if desired.