Lobster Stock and Meat
Use this stock to make our Lobster Shepherd's Pies.
- 3 live lobsters (1 1/2 pounds each)
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces, rinsed well
- 2 carrots (do not peel), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Lillet Blanc or dry white wine
- 6 cups water
- 4 stems flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
Fill a lobster pot or other large pot two-thirds full with water. Bring to a boil. Add lobsters headfirst. Cover, and cook until shells are bright red, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from water. Using kitchen shears, clip the tips of the lobster claws, and let drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
Remove meat from lobsters, reserving shells. Refrigerate lobster meat, covered, until ready to use. Cut shells into large pieces.
Melt butter in a medium stockpot over high heat. Add leek, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in Lillet; cook for 2 minutes more. Add reserved lobster shells, the water, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain through a fine sieve; discard solids. Let cool. (Stock can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2009