A touch of vanilla and maple syrup turn a potentially ordinary side into a decidedly elegant, and child-friendly, dish.
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
Combine carrots and water in a large skillet. Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape vanilla seeds into skillet; add pod. Bring to a simmer, and cook until carrots are tender and most of the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add syrup, butter, salt, and pepper, and toss.