Portobello Mushroom Burger with Spicy Avocado Sauce
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), if desired
- 4 soft rolls, split horizontally
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cored and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with oil and 2/3 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Arrange stemmed side down; cover loosely with foil. Roast until tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Stir in mustard, horseradish, and lime juice. Fold in jalapeno season with salt and pepper.
Toast rolls. Dividing evenly, layer each bottom half with tomato and portobello, and each top half with avocado mixture.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2005