With layers of sweetened cranberries, buttery pound cake, and fluffy whipped cream, this trifle is a truly easy dessert -- merry and dazzling.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Source: Everyday Food, December 2008
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 homemade or store-bought all-butter pound cakes (12 ounces each), cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- Candied Orange Zest, for garnish (optional)
In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 2 cups granulated sugar, ginger, and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium; cook until cranberries begin to burst, 8 to 10 minutes. Let compote cool completely.
Make cream filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla on high until well combined. With mixer on medium, gradually add heavy cream; continue beating until soft peaks form.
Arrange 1/3 of cake in a 3-quart serving dish. Spoon 1/3 of compote over cake; spread to sides of dish. Dollop 1/3 of cream filling over compote; spread to sides of dish. Repeat twice, ending with cream filling. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 1 day). Garnish with Candied Orange Zest, if desired.