Southern Egg Salad
Old Bay Seasoning, a mix of more than 12 herbs and spices, is key to the distinctiveness of this egg salad.
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, October 2006
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, or chopped pickle
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices dark bread, such as multigrain or pumpernickel
- Carrot sticks, for serving (optional)
Place eggs in a small saucepan, and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil; immediately remove from heat, and cover. Let stand 12 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, shallot, relish, and Old Bay Seasoning. Peel eggs; coarsely chop, and fold into mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Top 1 slice of bread with egg salad and remaining slice of bread. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic and refrigerate, up to overnight. Serve with carrot sticks, if desired.