Sour-Orange and Grilled Jumbo-Shrimp Caesar Salad
Jumbo shrimp, marinated in a zesty mix, find their perfect match in the crisp romaine of this fresh and tangy salad.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2009
- 12 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined, tails on
- Mojo Marinade
- 1/2 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Sour-Orange and Garlic Oil, plus more for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed sour-orange juice, such as Seville, plus more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heads romaine, inner leaves only, leaves separated
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 sour orange, such as Seville, cut into wedges, for serving
Mix shrimp and 2/3 cup marinade in a medium bowl. Cover, and let stand, turning shrimp once, for 20 minutes.
Brush both sides of baguette halves with sour-orange and garlic oil, and season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill bread until toasted, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
Grill shrimp over high heat, flipping once, until pink and cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Toss shrimp with remaining 1/3 cup marinade.
Plunge whole egg in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water, and let cool slightly in shell. Whisk sour-orange and garlic oil, orange juice, and Worcestershire in a large bowl. Whisk in egg. Season with salt and pepper. (Taste, and adjust the seasoning with Worcestershire or orange juice if needed.) Toss with romaine, then add baguette cubes and avocado.
Arrange 4 leaves on each plate, making sure each has croutons and avocado. Top each with 3 shrimp, sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve immediately with an orange wedge.