Roasted Lamb with Garlic and Oregano
- 12 garlic cloves (about 1 head), peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 boned leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds), rolled and tied
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a blender, puree garlic, oil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon coarse salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Place lamb in a roasting pan; rub with garlic mixture. Roast, turning pan once, 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees; roast, until a thermometer inserted in center registers 130 degrees to 135 degrees, 50 to 60 minutes for medium-rare.
Meanwhile, make yogurt sauce: In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, parsley, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Transfer lamb to cutting board, and tent loosely with foil; let rest 20 minutes. Remove strings from lamb, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve with yogurt sauce.