Sausage Stew with Polenta
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1998
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 Italian sausages (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved, and cut into rounds
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, skins removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes, juice reserved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Egi Maccioni's Polenta
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add sausages, and cook, piercing with a fork to release the fat. Cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Carefully drain off excess fat.
Add the remaining olive oil, onion, and bay leaves to the sausages. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the white wine, and continue cooking until reduced, about 2 minutes more.
Add the tomatoes; cover. Cook, stirring often, until thick, about 30 minutes. If the sauce starts to stick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Serve with polenta.