Grilled Squid with Ginger, Celery, and Apple Slaw
Squid is as versatile and easy to prepare as chicken breasts. In this dish, it pairs beautifully with tart Granny Smith apples and a Japanese miso marinade.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons white or light miso paste
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 8 calamari (bodies only), rinsed and dried
FOR THE SLAW
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 5 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and sliced diagonally into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced into 2 1/2-inch matchsticks
- 3/4 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1 serrano chile, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
Make the marinade: Cook garlic, miso, sake, mirin, soy sauce, and oyster sauce in a pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool slightly.
Using a kitchen mallet, pound both sides of calamari a few times to tenderize. Insert a sharp knife into calamari, cut along seams, and then open like a book. Lightly score inner sides at 1/4-inch intervals. Add calamari to marinade, and let stand for 20 minutes.
Make the slaw: Whisk together ginger, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and salt. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
Preheat grill to medium-high. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 3 to 4 seconds.) Wrap 3 bricks or the bottom of a heavy skillet with heavy-duty foil. Remove calamari from marinade, and season scored sides with salt. Place calamari, scored sides down, on grill, and top with foil-lined weight. Grill until opaque, about 1 1/2 minutes. Cut into 3/4-inch-wide pieces.
Toss celery, apple, scallions, sprouts, and chile with 3 tablespoons dressing (reserve remaining dressing for another use). Arrange on a platter. Top with calamari, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.