- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (each 17 by 12 inches), thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually add spinach, and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in egg, herbs, feta, salt, and pepper.
Lay 1 sheet phyllo on a parchment-lined baking sheet (cover remaining phyllo with a damp towel), and brush with butter. Repeat twice. Spread spinach mixture on center. Top with 3 more buttered sheets. Fold in sides. Butter remaining 4 sheets; crumple over top. Bake until dark golden, about 40 minutes.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2007