Beets with Watercress and Bibb Lettuce
A beet salad makes a lovely addition to any meal.
- 1 bunch medium red beets, trimmed and scrubbed (4 to 6 beets)
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (6 ounces) watercress, tough stems trimmed
- 1 medium head (5 ounces) Bibb lettuce, leaves torn into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide beets between 2 parchment-lined pieces of foil. Fold each in half, crimping edges to seal. Place packets on a baking sheet, and roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Peel, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and wedges.
Whisk together vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add oil, whisking until emulsified. Arrange greens and beets on a platter. Drizzle with dressing, and season with pepper.