Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup
Roasting the tomatoes and eggplant deepens the flavor of this vegetarian soup.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
- Yield: Serves 6
Source: Everyday Food, September 2004
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, (about 12), cored and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Toasted rustic bread, for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. with racks on top and bottom. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together tomatoes, carrots, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer, with tomatoes cut sides down.
On another rimmed baking sheet, toss together eggplant, chickpeas, curry powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer. Place both sheets in oven (tomato mixture on top rack). Roast until tender, tossing mixtures halfway through, about 45 minutes.
Using tongs, peel off and discard tomato skins. Puree tomato mixture (including juices) in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Stir in eggplant mixture; thin with 3 to 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, sprinkled with cilantro; garnish with bread, if desired.