Romaine Hearts with Feta Cheese, Black Olives, and Red Onions
Ingredients in Greek salads vary, but feta cheese and olives are essential.
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2000
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 unwaxed cucumber, or waxed and peeled
- 1/2 cup Greek black olives, like Kalamata, plus more if desired
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Remove outer leaves of romaine, reserving for another use. Separate leaves from heart; arrange in a serving bowl.
Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, shave the onion and the cucumber into thin, transparent rounds.
Scatter onion, cucumber, and olives over romaine. Crumble feta directly onto salad. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper; serve.