Watercress Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasting chunks of sweet potatoes caramelizes them -- they're great to eat all on their own or tossed with crunchy nuts, tangy cheese, and crisp watercress.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: José Manuel Picayo Rivera
Source: Everyday Food, October 2007
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total), peeled and cut into 2-inch-long matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 bunches watercress (12 ounces total), stems trimmed
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks on upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on upper rack, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway through.
On another rimmed baking sheet, toss walnuts with cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon oil. Bake on lower rack,
until golden, 6 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Add watercress, and toss to combine. Serve topped with sweet potatoes, walnuts, and feta.