Under 30 Minutes
Stir-Fried Noodles with Eggplant and Basil
Instead of eggplant, you can also use thinly sliced zucchini or shiitake mushrooms.
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon light-brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound Japanese or other small eggplant, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 5 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, for serving
Cook noodles according to package instructions; drain noodles and rinse with cold water. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
Heat a large skillet or wok over high until hot. Add 3 teaspoons vegetable oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add eggplant and stir until golden on both sides, 4 minutes total. Push eggplant to side of skillet and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add scallion whites and garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add noodles and soy mixture and toss to combine all the ingredients. Serve topped with scallion greens and basil.