Gingersnap Ice Cream Sandwiches
Reminiscent of a childhood favorite, these ice cream sandwiches take on an adult air when made with chewy ginger cookies and butter-pecan ice cream. But beware, they still melt as quickly as ever.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 pint butter-pecan ice cream, softened slightly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, granulated sugar, and molasses until fluffy. Beat in yolk. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a small bowl. Fold into butter mixture 1/3 at a time. Roll dough into eight 1 1/2-inch balls, spacing them 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Press to form 3-inch disks. Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired. Bake, rotating halfway through, until golden around edges, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool.
Scoop ice cream onto 4 cookies and top each with a second cookie. Freeze until firm. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.