Vanilla-Ginger Asian Pears
The crisp, juicy texture and sweet, almost-floral flavor of Asian pears require little accompaniment. These pears do not soften when ripe; choose uniformly firm, unblemished fruit when shopping.
- 2 medium Asian pears, cored and quartered
- 1 piece (2 inches) ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- Store-bought cookies, such as Jules Destrooper wafers, for serving (optional)
Bring ginger, vanilla seeds and pod, sugar, and water to a boil in a small saucepan for 3 minutes. Pour mixture over pears. Press a piece of parchment directly on surface, and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Discard vanilla pod and ginger. Divide pears among 4 bowls, and serve with cookies or wafers on the side if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2009