Plum Tartes Tatin
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from one 17.3-ounce box), thawed
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 firm but ripe red plums, pitted and quartered
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degree. Cut out four 4-inch circles from puff pastry, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat butter and sugar in a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts. Add plums and salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until plums begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and add brandy. Return to heat, and swirl pan until alcohol cooks off, about 1 minute.
Divide plums, cut sides down, and pan juices among four 10-ounce ramekins. Top each with a puff pastry circle, and bake until edges are bubbling and tops are golden, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully turn out into shallow bowls, and serve each with a dollop of sour cream.