Roasted-Beet Salad with Blue Cheese
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2009
- 6 bunches baby red beets (about 20), scrubbed well and trimmed, greens reserved and washed well
- 6 bunches baby golden beets (about 20), scrubbed well and trimmed, greens reserved and washed well
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 ounces pecans (1 cup), toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 4 pieces of foil with parchment. Place 10 beets in center of each; drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Fold into packets, crimping edges to seal. Place on a baking sheet, and roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour. Unfold packets to cool slightly. Peel, and quarter.
Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add reserved beet greens, and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plates, and let drain. Combine beets and beet-green mixture with pecans, blue cheese, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve warm.