Roasted Vegetable, Ham, and Turkey Melts
Open-face sandwiches are layered with roasted vegetables, ham, turkey, and Swiss, then heated until the cheese melts.
- 1 pound white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced 1/4 inch lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch lengthwise
- 2 Vidalia onions, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, halved and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, cleaned and chopped
- 1 loaf of bread, about 12 by 5 inches, such as ciabatta or baguette
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1 pound roasted turkey and/or baked ham, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces good-quality Swiss cheese, sliced
Heat broiler. Put mushrooms in a single layer on a baking pan, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Place pan under broiler until mushrooms brown around edges, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl; set aside. Using same pan, repeat process with tomatoes until they are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with onions, until they are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat with peppers, until skins start to blister, 6 to 8 minutes. When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove skin and stems; cut into 1-by-2-inch pieces. Combine all vegetables in a bowl, and toss with parsley. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Halve bread lengthwise. Spread mustard on both sides; layer with roasted vegetables. Arrange turkey and/or ham over vegetables; top with cheese. Place on baking pan; transfer to broiler until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve.